01604 811 245

Why is it important to sweep
your chimney? Carbon monoxide testing in Northamptonshire.

Safety First

There are a number of reasons for having your chimney inspected and cleaned.

    • 1

      To eliminate

      the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning

    • 2

      To prevent

      chimney fires from occurring

    • 3

      To ensure

      the safe & efficient working order of your chimney

To discuss your requirements with us and book a chimney inspection call us now on 01604 811 245 or email us.

Carbon Monoxide Testing

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas with no smell or taste. This highly difficult to trace gas can have fatal results if left unchecked, which is why it is essential that you have your chimney checked regularly.More than 50 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning. More than 200 are left extremely ill from the vicious gas.

There are a number of noticeable symptoms that may suggest carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Headaches
  • Feeling sick
  • Vomiting
  • Drowsiness and confusion
  • Stomach pains
  • Shortness of breath
    and difficulty with
    breathing

Carbon monoxide is hard to detect because it holds no smell, taste or colour.When fuels such as wood and coal, for example, do not fully burn, carbon monoxide is produced. Burning fires in enclosed spaces, like your living room, will use up the oxygen, which is then replaced with carbon dioxide, preventing the fuel from fully burning and producing carbon monoxide.

How do you prevent this?

We recommend you have your chimney swept at least once a year, but twice a year if you are a heavy user of your fireplace.
Regular sweeping is the most significant way of reducing the risks associated with carbon monoxide poisoning and we recommend a minimum of at least once a year and in some cases twice a year depending on the fuel you are burning.
We also supply carbon monoxide detection alarms for added peace of mind.

Chimney fires

Soot and creosote build-up will dramatically increase the risk of chimney fire. Chimney fire is caused by burning of these substances within the appliance, outlet or flue system and can sometimes lead to a house fire.

Regular sweeping significantly reduces risk of chimney fire.